Monday, October 13, 2014

Ron Lemen demos - now with analysis!!


He has many more, detailing quick sketch technique, tiling with gouache and oils, etc.


Analysis on ^:

It really helps to have seen the video above it as well as the Jeff Watts 3 hour sessions I posted recently and some other tutorials by Ron Lemen, Kevin Chen, EM Gist etc. - having absorbed a good deal of this stuff now I can really see how the entire system works as a whole - or at least to a much greater extent than I could before. I might be missing a few important chunks.

I can see he's using a variant of the Reilly method of quick sketch - I'm assuming he learned it at Watts or possibly it's his own version of that. He doesn't draw in the big triangles - but he does indicate them - he establishes the pit of the neck, center line, points of the shoulders, and then he indicates the crotch placement. I'm quite sure when he did that he visualized the inverted triangle. It's also clear what he's doing when he draws the arms and legs in terms of straight construction lines - he extends the lines a little farther than needed and then quickly estimates just where the length needs to be, then he draws in the second segment of the arm or leg. This is mostly apparent on the arms because they're bent. He also often makes judgement calls when he goes in to place the expressive lines over the construction lines, and puts it a little to one side or the other.

He's learned how to do expressive shading too, for mood and effect rather than just descriptive of form, and he can now do that very rapidly.

One really nice tidbit I noticed - the way he draws a line and then often flicks a finger over it (of the drawing hand) just like how I've seen both him and Jeff Watts do in gouache painting. Very nice to see the same techniques used across different media.

I'm assuming that when you've learned all the Reilly construction, you then can skip any lines that aren't necessary to the current drawing. You can doubtless skip a lot of them by just visualizing them before drawing. But you need to learn them first of course.

1 comment:

  1. Wow--I've been trying to figure this stuff out myself, also at 4 in the morning most days. So much great stuff for me to read here.

    ReplyDelete