Thursday, May 15, 2014

Ok - it's not THAT bad

I considered deleting yesterday's self-loathing and vitriol-spewing post, but I'll leave it as a record of how I was feeling at the time. I rarely sink to such levels of emotional self contempt. And now, in the clear light of a fresh day, I know that I really HAVE improved in some ways, and that indeed some of the more recent work is smoother, though I have yet to do an image that's smooth all over. I only really did the face and chest smoothly in the Julia Stiles piece, the neck and hair were left rough but that was by choice - I could have smoothed them if I decided to. It was also by choice I left the Keri Russell one so rough - it was a quick sketch, not meant to be a polished portrait.

I think what I really need to do is work on my process - I keep hearing about some method where you use big brushes in the beginning that's supposed to help with that, though in all the demos and tutorials I've watched I have yet to see anybody who uses big brushes anywhere except the background maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment