Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Pushin' tha pencil


So much for weekly posting - if I keep drawing at this rate I'll have too much for a single post on Monday. Using something similar to the Watts-style quick-sketch techniques, but in pencil, and drawing a lot slower. As I get better at it I'll start speeding up. As Dave Sim said (and I keep quoting): "First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast".

I'm not starting with a rapidly-done (and rather sloppy) gesture sketch anymore, that's what was making my older figure drawings come out all distorted. So I'm sketching it in very lightly and carefully and re-stating any parts that need it until they look right. In other words just drawing the way I used to before all this gesture stuff (though I do pay close attention to gesture as I go - I don't mean to imply that studying gesture was useless). I can see it looks a little stiff, or maybe just a little less energetic than I would like. Need to work on that going forward. One thing I'm finding is that it's hard to do core shadow technique on 9x12 paper - no wonder they do it on newsprint in charcoal! Might need to get back to doing it that way.


Re-doing these and trying to get them a lot better than before. It's definitely working. Soon I'll understand this well enough to do it with no reference (already tried a few times as seen in recent posts).


That guy in the lower left still isn't right. Next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment