Friday, June 29, 2018

Bodies and Heads...


After doing a couple of figures (which are separate drawings - I laughed when I saw what they look like together!) I decided it's time to start on heads. Started by just seeing what I can do from imagination. WTH -- I know I can do better than that!!! Looks like the way I used to draw a long time ago...


So I slowed down and put a lot more thought into it. Is it just me or is there something of Willem Dafoe in that first one? The second is done from a frame of the first X-Men movie. I can see I made the features too small for the head, and the shadow area needs some work. So I pulled up some of the screengrabs I snapped of the David Finch course on Gnomon. I took advantage of their 3 day free trial and watched all 4 of his videos, plus filled a folder with screenshots so I can draw from them.




Also did a couple from my Asaro head...


The Finch-style comic book heads seem to use a combination of certain elements from the Loomis head method, Reilly Abstractions, and maybe a bit of the Asaro head? Though I believe John Asaro based it on both of the above, if I remember right. So they're already sort of mixed in with each other to a large extent. They go together well.


No comments:

Post a Comment