Sunday, November 25, 2012

Broken Down and Humbled by Tiepolo


Tonight's sketch was a copy of the Tiepolo wash drawing from last post. Damn! By far the most difficult thing I've attempted so far since starting this blog. Not in terms of complexity, but because of the difficult up-view foreshortening and the fact that so many landmarks are hidden - I could hardly tell which way either of their ribcages are facing. Appropriate that it's a cloud picture - I felt like I was free-floaing with no point of reference most of the time. It really raised the stress level and broke me down the way they do in boot camp to make you stronger - hopefully it works.

Came out decently decent I suppose - especially considering the only brush I could find was a big fat Masterstroke that won't hold a point and has about as much spring and shape as a wet sack of grain. For next time - don't erase the pencil drawing too much before starting the wash - it gets really hard to see anything when you're in the thick of it and have to keep applying wash before the last puddle starts to dry. Use a color with very low chroma - what I took to be brown turns out to be orange.

But all in all when I was finally able to breathe a sigh of relief and start putting in the pen lines it came together pretty well - better then I had any right to expect I suppose.

Whew!


No comments:

Post a Comment