Thursday, May 4, 2023

Getting hands on

 


Finally putting some hands on him. I knew I'd never be able to draw them digitally as well as I can draw in pencil, so I cheated. I looked up pictures of men holding axes, lopped off hands in just about the right positions, and Frankensteined them on. I had to do a lot of finagling and adjusting. Luckily the lighting was just about right for his right hand, but as you can see, for the left hand it's backwards. I need to reverse it, so there's light where there's currently shadow, and vice versa. 

Right now I have the photo hands pasted on, but I'm painting over them so nothing will remain of the original photo elements. 

This torturous experience has made me tell myself over and over that I need to start with a fully developed pencil drawing, where all mistakes have been corrected already and everything is in there, nothing left to invent in photoshop. I've never done that yet. And I suppose I could fix a few things digitally before I start coloring, but it needs to be all done before I start adding color. I need to have that pencil drawing as a layer on top so all coloring is done underneath it. Once you get them stuck together it gets crazy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment