Saturday, April 15, 2023

Back At It!

 



I decided to color this one in photoshop. In progress. Lol I have no idea what I'm going to do about the hands. Anything complicated like that needs to be part of the pencil drawing, and done right, before I import it. No way can I draw hands in photoshop. 

Important information I don't want to forget—I made a color palette for the flesh tones. Mainly it was some earth tones plus a little blue, and I used a semi-transparent brush (like 20 percent opacity) to put down swatches up in the corner of the picture, on a layer underneath the top layer so it wouldn't show (I covered the area with some solid white on the topmost layer). Wish I had a picture that includes the palette, but by the time I made my first save I had already flattened it all. I'm using a vartiation on flat comic book coloring technique, which emphasizes the drawing rather than fighting with it. And I'm keeping all the colors very desaturated and earth-toney (though I'm making some blues and purples etc that match it). And yes, there's blue and purple and yelllow and pink etc in the flesh tone, all blended in so I break away from the over-simplicity of colors coming straight from the color picker. I should have used the palette for all my colors, but I only used it for the flesh. I forgot my limited palette philosophy of coloring. Well, from here I'll use the painting itself as a palette. 

The whole thing is flattened now (as I said), so I no longer have the drawing on top to keep dropping over all the colors layers. That was a big problem from the very beginning anyway, because the drawing wasn't pure line, it included all the shading. Always an issue with my pencils. I have no perfect solution for that, just have to wing it every time. 

And below are the handful of things I've drawn over the last couple of years that are worth posting. 







No comments:

Post a Comment