Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Let's look at some Texeira Punisher, shall we?

               

This is Tex at the absolute height of his abilities IMHO. I've always preferred his ink work to his painting, though that's nice too. But his real genius as far as I'm concerned is with those monster-thick brush strokes against the fine line work. Chunky and yet in some ways delicate. 



After that Cartoonist Kayfaybe video (2 back I think) where they showed the Texeira stuff right at the end, I hit up Amazon and bought a bunch of his Punisher work. I had never seen any Punisher comics before, much less by Tex. They've been coming in now for 2 days,  and there's a range of levels of work here. This is from one of the earlier issues. I can see his trademark style developing already, but it's still midway between a pretty standard Marvel house style from the late 80's and the amazing style he would have on his Wolverine and Sabretooth books at his peak. It's exciting to see his work develop like this! Almost page by page. I'm not sure, but I think he was doing the Punisher right before breaking out into Wolverine and then Sabretooth. So this is where he really started kicking it into gear. 


The rest of these are from a few issues later. Now he's only a hair's breadth from his peak. 


Clearly he works from photos for some of the faces, and he also occasionally does celebrity faces—something he's pretty good at. I don't know if this is anybody, but it's definitely from a picture. No way anybody could do that straight from the imagination! Not from a low angle like that, and with such full 3 dimensional depth to the bone structure of the face. He's so good with smiling female faces. 


I'm almost sure he used likenesses for some of these faces. It seems he often does for recurring characters. I remember him frequently making Wolverine look like Clint Eastwood in some stories. But I don't recognize anybody here. Unless... is that a very young Clint, in the lower left corner, somewhat distorted because I couldn't get the comic to lay completely flat when I took the picture? Not sure, but it could be.  


Just for comparison, here's a spread from one of his Wolverine issues from sometime in the 90's I believe. Not only Clint,  but a few more celebrity faces thrown in too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment